Thursday, May 27, 2010

Update 17


Dear Members

We conquered Mount Kinabalu !!! Yeahhhhhhh. I never doubt for a second that some of us in the group would be able to do it but I did have doubts on whether I could do it. BUT I DID IT. The feeling upon reaching the summit was surreal. The climb was tougher than I thought and I've never been scared in my life than when I was on that narrow ledge and hanging on to the rope while descending the 4,095m and glancing down to see the ground down down below. At that moment I just blanked all my thoughts, fears and that feeling of hysteria.

The journey was ardous and I almost gave up several times. I was dead tired. Others have taken a shorter time but it took me 13 hours ascending and 12 hours descending. Part of it involved walking in the rain, slippery and rocky terrain, and in the dark. I just could not believe I was able to reach the peak. At 200m upon reaching the peak I had no more energy, I just could not take another step and nothing more to give. What kept me going ? - well-wishers from all over including the UK chapter, my friend Roznita's mantra of "Go for the peak", and the thought that I would not be able to face the council members who have spontaneously given financial pledge for the charity. Upon reaching the summit I heard shouts from my group who have reached much earlier "Madame President is here" - that gave me another boost of energy to take that last climb up the peak. I made it.

We love the article appeared in the classified of the NST on 24 May i.e. the day we did the climb. It reported about our special charity project and brief background on ISM. Roll call on climbers who reached the peak are Suzie, Jumin, Alice, Bernard, Anas, Victoria, Enny, Siti Khairina, Hadi and myself. Katherine, Jamilah, Wendy, and Hafizah achieved the 3,000+ m. I wished to thank all the members of the group and my big thank you and appreciation to Jumin and Abdul Hadi.

Now my body ached all over and I'm walking like a robot - but it was worth it. The feeling of euphoria of being able to accomplish the challenge is out of the world. And the icing to the cake is the financial pledges to the two organizations.

Take care

Salam
Sr Wan Maimun

2 comments:

  1. well done madam president and her team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Puan President,

    You conquered Mt Kinabalu and you conquered a PhD. Could I ask - which was (relatively) easier?

    Salaams, congratulations, and best wishes for the future,

    Naseem

    (naseem6864@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete