Thursday, May 13, 2010

Update 15

Dear Members

We wished to convey our heartiest congratulation to Sr Ong See Lian, Sr Teo Chee Hai, Dato' Sr Abdul Kadir, and Dato' Sr Abdul Rahim. More of this detail in our website and eblast as mentioned in the bulletin of Past President Council.

It's been a month since I post the last message which was while I was in Bahrain enroute to London for the accreditation exercise for the Board of QS. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip - the work, the meetings, the reports and of course the shopping. I wished to convey my gratitude to the professors we met and the Surveyors working in UK for the hospitality accorded to us which was amazing.

While in London I took the opportunity to meet with the pro-tem committee of ISM UK chapter. The formation of ISM UK chapter is aptly timed and the meeting was indeed a historic and memorable day which would go down in ISM history as the inaugaural meeting of the ISM UK chapter. The meeting discussed on issues such as the formation, registration, finance, and their proposed activities and CPD events. We have been informed a week ago that ISM UK Chapter will be having its inaugaural seminar on 4 June 2010. Congratulations!!!!

I was still jet-lagged when I attended the BQSM dinner on 23 April. We were very very lucky as our flight was on the first day Heathrow airport re-opens. On 26 April I attended the launching of the Green Building Index for existing building and in the evening, the cocktail reception for guests of IRERS conference organised by INSPEN with ISM as one of the collaborators. I was again requested to sing at the karaoke sing-a-long which I yet again turned down as I just could not sing in public (I wish I could!!!). Someday I want to make it a point to learn to have the guts to sing in public.

27 April was a busy day for me which started with the IRERS opening ceremony in the morning, the ISM Excellent award meeting mid-morning, ISM management meeting in the afternoon and the FIG cocktail in the evening. On 28 April I meet up with CIMB corporate comms senior officers with regards to our charity activity, and in the afternoon an NST reporter interviewed me and I end the day with meeting in ISM to discuss on our charity event. We had our council meeting on 30 April. That wrapped up my ISM duties for the month of April.

The Young Achievers Award was successfully held on 7 & 8 May 2010. Our appreciation to Sr Fadillah and Sr Shazaly and the committee members. The students enjoyed themselves and we were able to convey to them with regards to the Surveying professions as a career in a fun manner. Other notable events scheduled in May are: courtesy visit to PAM scheduled on 17 May, Penang branch dinner on 21 May, the "Climb Mt Kinabalu with the President" charity event on 24 & 25 May, and Inter Institution Bowling competition on 29 May.

That's all for now. I hope to write more on the Mt Kinabalu climb before I "have enuf guts to do it" as Sr Roznita puts it. Take care

2 comments:

  1. Wahizam - ISM UK Chapter ProtemMay 17, 2010 at 12:24 AM

    Thanks ever so much to Madam President, Mr Chua and Assoc. Prof Nur Ainah for being able to meet up with us in London and to squeeze us into your busy schedule. Thanks again for having us!!!

    We too are very much delighted to know that you are coming to London and what an opportunity for us here to be visited by Madam President herself. Yup..the meeting was a memorable one to us all, very informative and beneficial to both ISM and UK Chapter.

    As promised, 4th June will be the official launching of ISM UK Chapter and we again, humbly would like our Madam President to do the launching here, for us.

    As a member of the protem committee, I would like to cordially invite all ISM members whom are able or even not able to come to London for the launching and hope that the ISM UK Chapter will be able to contribute in which ever way possible to the Insitution.

    So..Good luck to Madam and team for scaling Mt Kinabalu...yes!!! of course you can do it!!!! Take care and Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sr Wahizam
    Thank you for those kind words.
    For the past 3 days the papers here have been reporting on flight delays in London due to the volcanic ash that spewed again. We are now quite nervous over my departure to London for the 4 June launching. I've experience the fear of the delay on our last visit and it's nerve-wrecking. This time I must be back in KL at least a week before our Congress i.e. by 10 June.We'll liaise and discuss with you in detail through email.

    Take care

    Salam
    Sr Wan Maimun

    ReplyDelete